Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Andy Martin seeks Grand Jury probe of Obama “Kenyan birth certificate”

Illinois U. S. Senate candidate Martin says the document is in all probability a forgery, but who forged the paperwork and why are of intense national interest. Martin, a former adjunct professor of law, is credited with starting the “birther” movement but is not a birther himself. Martin calls himself a “doubter,” or as courts sometimes say, he is “dubitante.”


ANDY MARTIN
Republican for U. S. Senator/2010
“He Works for the People of Illinois”
Suite 4406, 30 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-4723
Toll-free tel. (866) 706-ANDY
Toll-free fax (866) 707-ANDY
Web site: http://www.AndyforUSSenator.com
E-mail: mailto:AndyforIllinois@aol.com


Please donate:

www.AndyforUSSenator.com


Blogs:

www.AndyforUSSenator.com
www.AndyforUSSenator.blogspot.com
www.AndyforUSSenator.wordpress.com

www.MarkKirk.us



August 4, 2009


Hon. Eric Holder
Attorney General
Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
via fax (202) 307-6777

and

Hon. Robert S. Mueller
Director
Federal Bureau of investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001
via fax (202) 323-2079


Re: Barack Obama “Kenyan” birth certificate

Dear General Holder and Director Mueller:

In the past few days, an attorney has filed a copy of what purports to be some sort of Kenyan birth record of President Barack Obama. There has been a great flurry of comment about this document in a wide cross-section of the media, both meathead media (my name for the “mainstream” media) and untraditional channels.

In 2008 I authored the book “Obama: The Man Behind the Mask,” and I have written extensively on Obama’s origins. Some credit me with being the “originator” of the birther movement. That is partly true and partly untrue. I have indeed written about the president’s somewhat opaque origins; but I have not by any means subscribed to many of the more extreme claims that have been made.

In fact, in some cases I have debunked "birther" theories. While I have questioned Obama’s origins, I have never believed he was born in Kenya.

There has been a lot of back-and-forth about the president’s birth. Many, including myself, expected that most of the energy behind these questions would dissipate after the election. I was mistaken. Questions about the president are “growing, not slowing.”

Some people think he gains politically by painting the “birthers” (as the meathead media have styled them) as kookie, others disagree. I have filed a lawsuit in Hawai’i state courts seeking access to Mr. Obama’s original, 1961 typewritten certificate because I believe it is an archive of American history that should be open to the public. Release of the original document would alleviate at least some of the doubt which exists.

Frankly, I do not think the president profits from prolonging the controversy about his legitimacy. That is my considered political judgment based on over 40 years in national and state politics. Rather, I see a slowly but steadily increasing public consensus that something is amiss.

I think it would be beneficial if at least some of the doubts about the president’s origins could be put to rest.

The “Kenyan birth certificate” (“KBC”)(which is admittedly not a birth certificate eo nomine) was filed in a federal court. There is a high probability that the document is a forgery.

But who forged the KBC? Was it opponents or proponents? When was the KBC forged? I have publicly adduced one theory, and suggested the existence of a second, more sinister, explanation for the appearance of the document. But no one really knows.

Someone apparently forged a birth document concerning the President of the United States. The American people have a right to a thorough and impartial investigation of this matter.

If it turns out that someone in fact forged the KBC to obstruct justice, then that person should be criminally prosecuted. There is no place for forgery or lies on either side of the Obama birth controversy. I have consistently rejected lies as an appropriate response to Barack Obama’s own stream of distortions and fabrications.

Because the document is on file in a federal court, and because the document may represent an attempt to obstruct justice, the Department of Justice indisputably has jurisdiction to conduct an investigation of such a document.

Most respectfully, I would urge you to do the following:

First, I would suggest you consider appointing an independent counsel (or “special prosecutor”), preferably someone who is a Republican but an attorney who has a criminal justice, and not an actively political, background.

Second, if a preliminary review of the document reveals that it is not authentic, and I am sure that will not take a great deal of effort on a threshold basis, I would suggest you allow the counsel to convene a grand jury to investigate the provenance of the material. Even a forged document can have a continuing corrosive effect on the legitimacy of the president.

I am prepared to come to Washington (or possibly California where the KBC was uttered) and testify as an expert witness on the controversy. I have no expertise in examining the authenticity of paperwork.

In closing, let me be clear. I have no investment in the document, or the swirl of activity concerning the document and related claims. I have devoted myself to seeking factual information about Mr. Obama, and seeking to ascertain the truth. Nothing more.

Substantially all of the controversial claims I have made about the president in my book and columns have subsequently been confirmed. I bear him no ill will. But I do respectfully disagree with those, who may include the president, who feel the continuing existence of the growing doubts is not a serious matter.

Respectfully submitted,

ANDY MARTIN

AM:sp

No comments: